Re: Running octave-code from Java

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Running octave-code from Java
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 21:40:39 +0200

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 10:21:35AM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 14:37:18 +0200, Hanna Svensson wrote:
> > I have understood that I can use for example javaOctave for this. But I
> > still need Octave installed on the computer. Is there any way I can to it
> > without have to install Octave on the client computer?
>
> No, there is no way that I know of to interpret and execute an Octave
> function without the Octave interpreter.

As I understood it, what Hanna meant was if there is a way to execute
the Octave part on a different machine.

There might be a simplicistic way, by using SSH (and maybe the related
sftp and rsync). Maybe you can make your Jave GUI transfer the data to
the server as a file, in a format which can be read by Octave (kind of
CSV, e.g.). Then the Java GUI would have to start Octave at the server
with an '--eval' option which causes reading the file, performing the
data processing, and writing a result file; you must do this
synchroneously, i.e. Java must wait until Octave is ready. Then the
Java GUI would still have to download the result file and use it
somehow.

The above is not very nice. Maybe it's better to fall back to your
orignial plan of porting the algorithm.

> > If I for example can compile the octave code to some standalone program to
> > be called from Java. My problem is that the program should be runned on a
> > computer in the hospital and all regulations on installing programs there
> > is a real hassle.

> (The hospital should be more concerned with Java being installed, but
> that's their choice.)

And I woudn't be astonished if you run into a firewall if you try to
access your own server...

Olaf