Close GUI But (Temporarily) Persist Plot Windows?

From: stephen . thomas
Subject: Close GUI But (Temporarily) Persist Plot Windows?
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 17:43:18 -0400

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn’t find anything in the archives and the closest stack overflow question (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38412514/how-to-exit-gnu-octave-after-running-an-m-file-without-closing-plot-windows) isn’t quite the same scenario.

On the latest OS X, I’d like to be able to run a script that terminates (closing the main window) but leaves any plot windows open until I manually close them. (The use case is being able to employ my favorite code editor). Anyone know of a clever hack that can accomplish that?

FWIW, the closest I’ve come so far is adding a pause command at the end of the script. That, at least, leaves the plot windows open. However, the plot windows can’t be closed by the normal OS X. ("Quit octave-gui" has no effect) and I have to resort to Force Quit.

TIA,

Stephen