Re: Octave-gui 4.03 on OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Will Not Start

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: Octave-gui 4.03 on OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Will Not Start
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 13:46:20 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Kim,

kimardenmiller wrote
> Installed 4.03 from dmg image below on OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 MacBook
> Pro.  Was working for a week, crashed, and now won’t reopen.
>
>       Message: octave-gui quit unexpectedly  Click Reopen to open the
> application again.
>
> Have reinstalled from dmg, but no change.  Have deleted octave-workspace,
> also no change.
>
> Did Octave-gui perhaps update files I can delete to get it back working?

No, it should not. I assume you did not change you system either? (System or
Xcode update etc...) Things that work sometimes are not easy to debug. Let's
try:

Can you do the following:

a) delete fontconfig cache: open Terminal.app and type "rm -r
~/.cache/fontconfig/". Is Octave working now?

b) delete Octave settings: open Terminal.app and type "rm ~/.octave*" and
"rm -r ~/.config/octave/". Is Octave working now?

c) try to open octave manually: open Terminal.app and type "cd
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/usr/bin/ && ./octave"

Does any of this help?

Sebastian