Re: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 20:13:09 -0400

> On May 31, 2016, at 12:25 PM, Sebastian Schöps <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> dushanm-2 wrote
>> Adam has expressed my feelings about this exactly.  I've not had Octave
>> on our home iMac, running Mountain Lion X.8.5, for just the reasons he
>> presents.  Even with a future move to Yosemite, I'd much appreciate a
>> binary.  Another two cents worth.
>
> As already metioned several times, there is dmg at
>
> http://wiki.octave.org/Create_a_MacOS_X_App_Bundle_Using_Homebrew
>
> First link. We (actually it's mainly Ben) are currently debugging it. So
> please help us. Once we are confident that it's working well, I will try to
> convince John to advertise it on the main Octave page.
>
> Feedback here or at the dedicated bugtracker:
> https://github.com/schoeps/octave_installer/issues
>
> Sebastian

I’ve run the bundle on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) running Yosemite and
a Mac mini (core 2 duo, 2010) running El Capitan. That sets a rather low bar
for hardware requirements, but a rather high bar for Mac OS X.

We stil need to determine the minimum requirements for Mac OS X, or perhaps we
have and I’m not aware of it? The first 64 bit version of Mac OS X was Leopard
(10.5). The minimum requirement will certainly be 10.5 or something higher.
Since Lion (10.7) it is possible to update Mac OS X with a few mouse clicks. So
systems with 10.7 or higher can easily be upgraded to run the app.

Once the minimum requirements are clearly defined (we can be conservative) I
think we’re ready for an official roll out.

If anyone is running 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, or 10.9, please help us out by
trying the app and let us know if it works for you.

Sebastian, just to be sure, is the app linked to on the wiki up to date?

Ben