Re: printing greek characters

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: printing greek characters
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 10:52:51 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----
>From: Jon Davis
>To: tmacchant
>Date: 2016/5/31, Tue 10:17
>Subject: Re: printing greek characters
>Octave 4.0,0
>>> graphics_tolkit qt or fltk
>>>
>>> plot([ 0 1],[0 1],'k');
>>> text(0.5,0.5,'\lambda^2')
>>>
>>> produces a lovely greek character in the middle of the display, but
>>>
>>> print -deps greektest.eps
>>>
>>> produces an eps file w/o the greek character.
>>>
>>> This is more in the way of a query to add the capability than anything
>>> else.  Sometimes greek characters are a must.
>>>
>>> Clinton Winant
>>
>>Back to the first question,
>>If you have the TeX in your environments, please execute the below
>>
>>%**********************
>>close all
>>
>>graphics_toolkit qt
>>plot([ 0 1],[0 1],'k');
>>text(0.5,0.5,'\lambda^2')
>>print -deps greek_qt.eps
>>close all
>>
>>graphics_toolkit gnuplot
>>plot([ 0 1],[0 1],'k');
>>text(0.5,0.5,'\lambda^2')
>>print -deps greek_gnuplot.eps
>>close all
>>%**********************
>>

>>representation like \lambda is called the TeX mode.
>>See the manual
>>https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Use-of-the-interpreter-Property.html#Use-of-the-interpreter-Property
>>
>>As is written, note that TeX mode works only on gnuplot graphics toolkit.
>>

>I have a full Latex installed.  The result is what I have understood to happen
>with
>TeX labels in an octave garaphics setup.  It is basically why I moved to numpy
>and matplotlib
>for the revision of my Applied Math book,
>

>I previously used psfrag.sty to get LaTeX labels, but that does not play well
>with PDFLaTeX, whiich
>seems to be where LateX is heading.

Please keep CCing to the help list. This an etiquette using the mailing list.

Octave TeX mode uses plain TeX but not LaTeX as written in the manual.
(But plain TeX perhaps also installed if you have installed LaTeX. )

I have attached png image of generated octave TeX mode using script the above.
(MikTeX is used as a TeX.)

Tatsuro