Re: Target Motion Analysis - Geometry Pkg

From: Thomas D. Dean
Subject: Re: Target Motion Analysis - Geometry Pkg
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 12:17:49 -0700

On 05/03/16 11:54, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

Given a simple example is difficult to guess what is the mathematical
meaning of the green line.
Is this a pursuit problem?

Sort of.

I read an old paper, 1953, by Spiess and wanted to use the geometry package to solve it.

I looked in the Navy Maneuvering Board manual, online, and found this problem, which turned out fairly easy to plot with the geometry package.

Then, I got stuck in solving it.

Given the motion of the sensor, red line, and the 6 bearings, blue lines, what is the location, heading, and speed of the target?

The Maneuvering Board book gave this example, along with a graphical solution that required drawing an additional 12 lines.

I defined the green line, UnkLine, from the final solution given in the Maneuvering Board manual.

I continue to be unable to arrive at a solution.

The each of the bearing lines intersects the target line. This seems to be an under-defined problem.

Tom Dean