Re: Help Fresh install

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Help Fresh install
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 08:23:42 -0700

On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 00:46:41 -0700, moreje wrote:
> I'm a new user and I need help to set up a Debian server with Octave
> First, I need to install the last release of Octave (>4.0). What is the best
> way? I found it in debian-backports but I don't know if it is a good
> solution.

Yes, use jessie-backports and apt install octave.

> 2nd: I need to install several packages from octave-forge. What is the
> procedure if I want these packages available for all users of my server?

Octave itself is backported to Debian stable, but not any of the Forge
packages, so the best option is to probably install them as root after
installing octave as above.

You will also need to apt install the liboctave-dev package.

  # octave --eval "pkg install -global -forge PKG"

--
mike