Re: Camera Calibration in Octave

From: James Sherman Jr.
Subject: Re: Camera Calibration in Octave
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 16:15:23 -0500

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Khan Mohammad Al Farabi
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have attached the images. I would like to implement following operations
>> from the images:
>>
>> 1. I would like to pick sufficient number of data points from the rig
>> images to estimate the camera parameters.
>> 2. I would like to pick the image points of the calibration rig manually.
>> For this purpose, I would like to write a GUI interface which will allow me
>> to click on these points and have them saved in a file which I can then
>> process.
>>
>> 3. Then  I would like to do the numerical calculations to estimate the
>> camera parameters: (a) intrinsic parameters, and (b) extrinsic parameters.
>>
>> 4. Then an error analysis using these estimated camera parameters,
>> reproject the known 3D grid points from the calibration rig onto the image.
>> Then I want to analyze the errors between the original image coordinates I
>> have used to do the calibration and the reprojected points in the image. I
>> also want to compute statistics of these errors. Also want to look and see
>> if there are certain trends in the errors.
>>
>> Here I am not considering lens distortion. therefore skew s=0
>>
>> Is it possible to implement this Octave or Matlab without toolbox. If
>> possible then help me please.
>>

> Thanks for all the details, someone with more image processing familiarity
> may be able to provide more direct insight, but I think most of what you
> propose should definitely be possible with Octave.  The only part that I
> think might give problems is the GUI selection portion. There is similar
> capability regarding the underlying mathematics with Matlab and Octave, but
> Octave's graphical interface functions are not quite as polished.
>
> Nick J.

When I was in grad school, I used the freely available camera
calibration toolbox available here:
http://www.vision.caltech.edu/bouguetj/calib_doc/#system
for camera calibration in Matlab.  I imagine there might be some
issues with the buttons associated with the GUI, but I believe that
the bulk of the code would be immediately compatible with Octave.

Hope this helps,

James Sherman Jr.