file encodings (was: wrapToPi function)

From: Mike Miller
Subject: file encodings (was: wrapToPi function)
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 09:35:06 -0500

On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 17:41:07 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> I've been using SciTE since it was bundled with Octave way back when.
> It's supposed to Autodetect UTF if it starts with a correct BOM. This
> is the first time I've had it incorrectly autodetect unicode. Usually
> Firefox on windows keeps autodetecting encoding to 'Western' no matter
> how many times I try to set it otherwise. but I was surprised to see
> it carry through to the editor.

So does SciTE *not* detect UTF-8 properly if there is no BOM? Because
the BOM is typically discouraged, on non-Windows systems at least.

> Anyway,Mike, a side note:  the Octave Windows gui editor
> is set by default to EOL mode "Windows (CRLF)".  Again, being
> unfamiliar with the implications, will that cause problems for
> contributed code? would just switching it to linux (LF) cause problems
> for code I save/run locally?

It's easy enough to run fromdos on my end if I get a patch in CRLF
format. Working in LF format should not cause any problems for you (only
Notepad has a problem with LF files I think), and will make your work
more compatible with the majority of us devs ;)

> sorry to derail the thread :)

No problem, renamed sub-thread.

--
mike