Re: pkg install -forge seems broken

From: lukshuntim
Subject: Re: pkg install -forge seems broken
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 22:42:48 +0800

On 11/12/2015 06:28 PM, Siva, Elilini  wrote:
Dear Nick, Philip,

Thanks for your responses, apologies for contacting you directly, I just
followed the link from a post.

I tried  the following:

pkg install io-2.2.11.tar.gz

warning: (Automatic loading of spreadsheet I/O Java classlibs failed)

For information about changes from previous versions of the io package,
run 'news io'.

/And on attempting to read an excel file:/

xlsread test.xlsx

warning: Functions for spreadsheet style I/O (.xls .xlsx .sxc .ods .dbf .wk1

etc.) are provided in the io package. See `http://octave.sf.net/io/'.

Please read `http://www.octave.org/missing.html' to learn how you can

contribute missing functionality.

error: 'xlsread' undefined near line 1 column 1

Hi,

Packages installed by pkg are no longer autoloaded so you have to load it before using. Try run 'pkg load io' first.

@Packager maintainers:
As this seems to be a FAQ, maybe every package should append something like

"Run 'pkg load io' to use it."

to the standard message

"For information about changes from previous versions of the io package, run 'news io'."

Regards,
ST