Re: Octave 4 - Plot Problem

From: Marco Atzeri
Subject: Re: Octave 4 - Plot Problem
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 15:19:40 +0100

On 26/10/2015 10:38, Derek Dickens wrote:
Hi

I am a totally new user and have just installed Octave 4 as a trial.  I
am going through some of the early examples from Wiki Books and the
arithmetic functions work well but when I come to trying a simple plot
the “figure window” opens but no data is displayed and the window
“freezes” before the system crashes.  No information on why.

The code is very simple and from Wiki Books:

x = linspace(0,2*pi,100);

y=sin(x);

plot(x,y);

figure;

I have tried the GUI version 4.0 and also the command line version both
fail at the point of executing the call to  “plot” when the “figure”
window displays with no plot.

I’m not sure if it is the installation or a configuration issue.  I’m
using window 7 and Java version 8 – both updated in the last few days.

Any help would be appreciated.

Derek

Hi Derek,
It seems the default graphics_toolkits is not working properly.

Can you try the command

   available_graphics_toolkits

It should produce a list like

ans =