Re:

From: Brian Kaczynski
Subject: Re:
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 12:45:03 +0200

Hello Jonathan,

I'm not sure what you mean by "is there some function which allows me to view the mathematical proof of the square root function for irrational numbers?"

But the numbers Octave displays have to do with the requested display accuracy and the fact that they are represented by finite-precision floating-point numbers.

If you want to see more significant digits type "format long g" at the prompt.  I tested this and it matches the numbers from the website you linked out to 14 digits after the decimal point.  After that you're running into the limitations of the finite-precision arithmetic Octave uses.

-Brian

When I type sqrt(3) and sqrt(99) I do not get the same result as https://www.mathsisfun.com/irrational-numbers.html, is there some function which allows me to view the mathematical proof of the square root function for irrational numbers?

Sorry just an idiosyncratic question.

--
Jonathan Camilleri

Mobile (MT): ++356 7982 7113
E-mail: address@hidden
Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail.

I usually reply to emails within 2 business days.  If it's urgent, give me a call.

and, angel start-up investment opportunities available at http://slyth3.wix.com/jon-business.
Online resume is available online at http://mt.linkedin.com/in/jonathancamilleri and shared bookmarks at https://delicious.com/jon80.