Re: How do I get Octave IDE to access cloud storage?

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: How do I get Octave IDE to access cloud storage?
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 10:48:09 -0400

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 10:21 AM, harry smith <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 10:12 AM, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 6:30 AM, harry smith <address@hidden> wrote:
I work at multiple location and would like to access my Octave scripts from a cloud service such as Dropbox ?

Did I miss something in the IDE setup?

What problem do you encounter when you try to do this?  Is your file location mapped to a drive location on your computer? I've run script files stored on network shares before. I believe it should be able to browse to any folder location that your computer can see.

nickj

I am running Win 10 and keep my scripts in Dropbox.  When I use the folder icon, I see my locate drives, BlueRay Drives and  and network drive but it does not show Dropbox or Google Drive.

Harry

(please keep the mailing list on the replies, and answer at the bottom. makes it easier for others to follow and chime in if they have assistance to offer.)

When you say 'use the folder icon', do you mean in Windows, or in Octave? Octave should see any Drives/folders that Windows can see as connected to your PC. I don't have Win10 in front of me right now, but if your Windows install is fairly standard, check the following just to confirm what you said in your last email:

Click the Start Button (Windows icon in lower left corner), then File Explorer.  On the left, under This PC, you should see a list of locations connected to your PC. Some default shortcuts like Desktop, Documents, etc., and then local hard drives, optical drive, network drive, etc., with drive letters assigned --just confirm that this list is what you reported being able to see in your last email.

Octave should be able to navigate to any drive that appears under the This PC list. If a drive you're expecting to see is not there, then the problem isn't with Octave. You may need to contact Dropbox or other support to find out how to map your Dropbox or Google Drive to a drive location on your PC.  Unfortunately I'm not familiar with either of those.

If Dropbox and Google Drive do appear with an assigned drive letter under This PC, but you just can't see in them in Octave, then there might be more that can be looked into with Octave.

Nick J.