Re: Show editor and command window at same time?

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Show editor and command window at same time?
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 15:31:02 -0400

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Torsten <address@hidden> wrote:
On 02.09.2015 21:01, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
> Chuck37 wrote
>> I just pulled Octave for the first time in a long time and am very happy
>> that there is an integrated editor.  I'm running on windows.  My workflow
>> in matlab always involves being able to see the editor and command window
>> at the same time, so I can paste back and forth, among other things.  I
>> can't see how to do this in Octave.  Is it possible?  Clicking the run
>> icon and seeing nothing until I pick the command window tab is fairly
>> annoying.  Thanks.
>
> On Windows you cannot pull the editor pane; but in the top right corner
> there's a button that will undock the editor.  I'll try to attach a pic
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4672420/undock_editor.png>
>
> Philip

There is a preference whether the focus should go to the command window
after a command was launched from another widget.

Philip, it is really not possible to drag the editor and place it
(within the main-window) side by side with the command window?

Torsten

As far I I know, the layout of the main Octave GUI window is fairly fixed. But I popped the Editor out to a separate window with that button next to the X. In the new window the icon on that button changed, and clicking that it popped back in, taking up the bottom of the window. Not side by side, but one above the other.Clicking and dragging the top of that Editor pane, it will let me reposition in in many different locations within the window, including the side-by-side I think you're looking for.

personally, I like it outside in a separate window. but that's just me.

Nick J.