Re: PKG install under Windows Mingw setup

From: User1116
Subject: Re: PKG install under Windows Mingw setup
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 06:02:03 -0700 (PDT)

PhilipNienhuis wrote
> So you did install Octave yourself (= with required privileges)

Yes, I have installed Octave myself.  Octave install directory was
C:/Octave/Octave-4.0.0.  Home directory is set to C:/users/adamro1/.

PhilipNienhuis wrote
> In that case (on Windows) you probably do not need to set (should not
> specify) any prefix as Octave will install OF packages in its installation
> directory (in the share/octave/ subtree).
>
> If you would install OF packages with the "-local" option I think no
> prefixes are required either, Octave will (try to) put the packages in
> your home directory under the octave subdirectory.
>
> Philip

The prefixes seem to behave odd.  At first boot (using the GUI), they
default to:

>> pkg prefix
Installation prefix:
C:\Octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\packages
Architecture dependent prefix:   C:\Octave\Octave-4.0.0\lib\octave\packages

A standard pkg install fails here due to permission denied on directory
creation.  I believe this is because creating directories outside of my home
directories requires me to accept a run as administrator option.

After attempting a -local install, my prefixes get set differently (and the
install also fails due to the new prefix directories being something I don't
have access to)

>> pkg prefix
Installation prefix:             y:\home\adamro1\octave
Architecture dependent prefix:   y:\home\adamro1\octave

My home directory is set to C:\users\adamro1.  I'm cd'ing into Downloads for
the instrument-control gunzip file.  I have no idea why it is defaulting to
Y: directories.