Re: Installing odepkg in Octave_cli ver. 3.8.0

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Installing odepkg in Octave_cli ver. 3.8.0
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 10:14:55 -0400

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 2:04 PM, Alexander Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 24, 2015, at 09:47, Samuel Dupree <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Sebastian,
>>
>> Thank you for responding so quickly. Yes I did install Octave from the .dmg
>> file on octave-forge. If I have to install it from a package manager, the
>> best option for me is install Octave using Fink. Any particular
>> option/options I should select?
>>
>> Sam Dupree.
>
> I need to post a matrix for these, but here’s a summary.  The Octave-3.8.2
> package in Fink has the following options.
>
> octave[BLAS/LAPACK implementation][FLTK graphics toolkit][Qt GUI options]
>
> The BLAS/LAPACK implementations are:
>
> (nothing):    Use Apple’s Accelerate framework. My understanding is that some
> problems with this have been fixed as of 10.10.
>
> -ref:         Use an unoptimized BLAS/LAPACK.  The author of the Octave Forge
> control package found that this option worked better for that package.
>
> -atlas:       Use ATLAS.
>
> The FLTK toolkit options are:
>
> (nothing):    Use native FLTK graphics.
>
> -x11: Use X11-based FLTK graphics.
>
> The Qt GUI options are:
>
> (nothing):            No Qt GUI
>
> -qtmac:               Build the GUI to use native Qt graphics.
>
> -qtx11:               Build the GUI to use X11 Qt graphics.
>

> So, for example, if you want to use ATLAS and have a native GUI and native
> FLTK, you’d use:
>
> fink install octave-atlas-qtmac odepkg-atlas-oct382
>
> --
> Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
> Fink User Liaison

HI Alex,

I’ve attached the scripts/patches I use to build the current developer’s
sources. Maybe they will be helpful for updating Fink’s Octave to 4.0.0?

They work for me on Yosemite and expect they will also work on Mavericks. I’m
worried that they will not work on earlier versions.

I use these files for development purposes only. Running “make install” would
be a big mistake as it will likely corrupt the Fink installation.

Ben