Re: FW:Re: A question in Graph Theory

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: FW:Re: A question in Graph Theory
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 10:11:14 -0400

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 9:23 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
Mudit,

> [...]

The platform your professor stands on to lecture?  :-)

I don't think you need Octave to solve this, a paper and pencil
will be sufficient.  I don't know graph theory either, but I
can draw a graph with seven edges and three faces with either
six nodes (if you count the "outside" as a face), or five (if
you don't).  If it doesn't have to be planar it there may be a
different answer.  This took about 15 seconds.

Otherwise try:
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions?page=2&sort=newest

Regards,
Allen

Assuming you are learning Graph Theory in school, there are software tools that can help with this topic. Octave and Matlab are one example, but only if you have a specific problem you're trying to solve, and you know how to frame the problem for the tool. So study and do your homework.

That said, I don't believe Octave currently has an specific graph theory package. A google search brings up a few things suggesting one has been considered, and the following university project document lays out some of the basics of using Octave or an equivalent programming language for Graph theory:

http://www.lagrange.edu/resources/pdf/citations/2010/15olsen_mathematics.pdf

http://home.lagrange.edu/jernstberger/wordpress/index.php/2014/10/11/octave-graph-theory-toolbox/

http://home.lagrange.edu/jernstberger/research/OctaveGT/octave_research_paper_ud.pdf

It may be that this is being or could be made a 'official' Octave Forge package, the original reference is from 2010, but the professor's back is supposedly less than a year old.

I believe Matlab's symbolic packgae (and/or the MuPad interface) has some specific Graph theory functions that can help with solving and visualizing some graph theory problems. You could also look there to get an idea of how to formally construct the problems you're looking to solve:

http://www.mathworks.com/help/symbolic/graph-theory-1.html: