Re: changing terminal size

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: changing terminal size
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 14:23:27 -0400

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 20:07:52 +0200, Francesco Potortì wrote:
> Probably the clean solution would be to not using readline for getting
> terminal width and height, if possible.

We could add a fallback to get the terminal size directly if readline
is disabled, but IMHO we should also definitely add support for
overriding the terminal size with COLUMNS and LINES regardless.

> However, there is fundamental question: why ever is --no-line-editing
> needed at all?  I just tried modifying octave-inf.el to call Octave
> without it, and apparently all is well, the columns behave as they
> should and all the resta s well...

I don't know, that's a question for the Emacs devs who work on the
Octave mode. You might have better luck asking on an emacs list. I
suspect it's because Emacs wants to be in charge of line editing,
history, completion, etc, and maybe there is some interference or
other reason to want to disable readline in the target program.

We talked about all of this a while ago on Debian #675509 [1] where
you proposed that Octave mode should not be based on comint mode. I
have no opinion or insight into what any of that means, but it is
still based on comint mode today and does still set the
--no-line-editing option. IMHO taking this up with the maintainers of
the Octave mode script is the best way forward.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=675509

--
mike