error building octave 3.8.2

From: Ray Maple
Subject: error building octave 3.8.2
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 15:56:40 -0500

I am attempting to build octave 3.8.2 on a 64-bit CentOS 5.6 machine and have run into problems during lnking of liboctave.  I am compiling using a recently built gcc 4.9.2 installation.  The issue seems to be that libtool is attempting to link with the 32bit versions of libgfortran.so, libquadmath.os, and libg++.so from <prefix>/lib instead of the 64 bit verions from <prefix>/lib64.  The specific error is as follow:

libtool: link: g++ -FPIC .... <many many lines of paths and libraries>
</prefix>/lib/../lib/libgfortran.so: error adding symbols: File in the wrong format

I thought this might be a problem with the old libtool, so I installed the latest version, but got the same error.  I edited the liboctave/Makefile to explicitly include /cfd/Test/lib64/libgfortran.so, and the error shifted to libquadmath.  Editing the makefile again, the error shifted to libg++.

Any help in getting past this problem is greatly appreciated.