Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 22:53:07 -0500

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 15:55:16 +1100, Igal Franko wrote:
> I have the default Ubuntu configuration, I added support for the Hebrew
> language which might affect fonts somehow. I do have Hebrew fonts which
> were installed automatically at some point.
>
> The command `fc-list` gives me the following output:

Can't help you any further, then, sorry. Installing one or more fonts
such that fc-list showed something fixed the problem I had.

I am able to build on Ubuntu 12.04 from a clean hg clone without error.
Maybe try `sudo apt-get build-dep octave` just to ensure you installed
all of the build-dependencies?

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 20:41:09 -0600, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
> it looks to me that your build is using fltk toolkit to build documentation.
> This is kind of strange -- I think it should use gnuplot for this
> (even though fltk may be a default graphics backend).
>
> Do you have gnuplot installed?

Not sure about this. If gnuplot isn't installed, make should not even
attempt to build the doc directory.

I was curious, so I tried this and confirmed that no gnuplot means that
doc isn't built, and make does complete without an error for me.

--
mike