Tabs and spaces in the Octave GUI editor

From: mpender
Subject: Tabs and spaces in the Octave GUI editor
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 20:01:02 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to edit a makefile in the editor with Octave 3.8.0.  When I edited
a line in the makefile, the editor appears to have replaced the tab
character used to start a command line with spaces.  I'm at a loss as to how
to insert a tab in the file instead of space characters.  I've checked the
help and the settings under
Preferences > Editor, but haven't run across a solution to something that is
probably very simple to do.

What am I missing?