Re: Plots inside GUI window?

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: Plots inside GUI window?
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 00:56:15 -0700 (PDT)

James Nylen wrote
> I'd like to show Octave plots inside the GUI window, like RStudio does:
>
> http://nylen.tv/public/rstudio.png
>
> Is this a planned or desired feature?  At a high level, what code changes
> would be necessary to support this?

Hi,

It now can be envisaged to integrate figures into the main gui using
QtHandles (another graphics toolkit, based on opengl like fltk but using Qt
library like the gui) which has been integrated in the development sources.
Unfortunately that is no high-level code. Currently Qt toollkit and the gui
are completely independent and there is a fair amount of c++ code to be
written before we have the features you describe.

If you want to give it a try, you may clone octave source tree [1] and
report your thoughts/progress on the maintainers mailing list.

Pantxo

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/get-involved.html