Re: Import large field-delimited file with strings and numbers

From: João Rodrigues
Subject: Re: Import large field-delimited file with strings and numbers
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 19:05:42 +0100

On 08-09-2014 18:53, CdeMills wrote:

Hello Joaõ,
this is the perfect job for the "dataframe" package. It reads a CSV file and
returns an object which try to mimics a matrix. You can select ranges,
perform arithmetic operations, ...

You'll find in on the octave-forge source.
Hi Pascal, thanks for the tip.

I got this:

octave:1> pkg install -forge dataframe
error: could not download file dataframe-1.0.0.tar.gz from url http://packages.octave.org/download/dataframe-1.0.0.tar.gz
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.1/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 390, column 13

While browsing in the web I did not find any documentation (e.g., what is the command to import a file or the format of objects), only a minor description stating that it is analogue to R's data.frame. Can you point me in the right direction?