Re: new to octave - difficulty in installing a package (statistics)

From: rocketsound
Subject: Re: new to octave - difficulty in installing a package (statistics)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:18:12 -0700 (PDT)

roger phillips wrote
> Im very new to octave, but getting on reasonably with running some old
> matlab code, which is great.  I have come across a need to use nanmean
> which I have seen is included in the statistics package.
>
> I have downloaded this and saved in the same directory as octave runs
> from.
>  I have checked it is in the current path and tried installing it by
> typing
>   "pkg install -forge statistics-1.2.3.tar.gz"  but i get the error
> "package not found".
>
> i have tried a few other things like "pkg install statistics-1.2.3.tar.gz"
> but get the error " the following dependancies where unsatisfied needs
> io>=1.0.18
>
> As i am running windows 8.1 i have only been able to work out how to
> install version 3.6.4  is this causing my problem?  is there an older
> version of the package i should be trying to install?

Some notes on my part to clean things up:
When directly installing from Octave Forge (and not with a local copy of the
package zip-file), omit the version numbers, i.e. simply write *pkg install
-forge statistics*. But anyways, packages often depend on other packages,
and that is what the error message is telling you: Before you can install
statistics you need to install the package io first. (An easy way to check
possible dependencies is looking up the package on the Octave Forge website:
http://octave.sourceforge.net/statistics/index.html).

You may also try the /unofficial/ MXE Windows builds that you can find here:
http://mxeoctave.osuv.de/. The latest Octave 3.8 comes with a new
/experimental/ UI you might like to give a chance since you didn't write you
need a specific build.

Finally, you also need to load the packages you want to use. *pkg list*
shows you all installed packages and those marked with a star * are
currently loaded and thus ready to use. For you there a two ways: 1) Install
the package with the additional parameter -auto (i.e. *pkg install -forge
-auto statistics*). In this case the package gets automatically loaded. Or
2) use *pkg load statistics* after you installed the package.

In both cases: Try *help pkg* on the command line and you get even more
information on this command.