Not able to install io package

From: jerome1212
Subject: Not able to install io package
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 21:24:51 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all, I am not able to get the io package installed properly.  I am using
the Octave 3.8 version and downloaded the io package at the following site:
http://octave.sourceforge.net/io/index.html.  The package name is
io-2.2.2.tar.gz .  Within the GUI I navigate to the folder of this
downloaded file and type the following into the command line:

>> pkg install -forge io

I don't get an error and see the following:

For information about changes from previous versions of the io package, run
'news io
'.

When I try to use a function from that package (e.g. xlsread) I get the
following error:

>> help xlsread
error: help: Functions for spreadsheet style I/O (.xls .xlsx .sxc .ods .dbf
.wk1
etc.) are provided in the io package. See `http://octave.sf.net/io/'.

Please read `http://www.octave.org/missing.html' to learn how you can
contribute missing functionality.

Any ideas what is going wrong here and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Jerome.