Re: Octave fior Android Requires Payment

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: Octave fior Android Requires Payment
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 11:50:28 +0200

>I tried Octave for Android.
>
>It installs Ok, and initializes, presenting a window asking for a
>"donation", suggesting $10.
>
>If no payment is made, the app starts, presents a "Setting up Octave"
>message and hangs, forever.
>
>Seems to me to be a violation of the GPL.

Even if it refused to install without payment, I don't see how it could
violate the GPL, because no free software licence can force anyone to
give away a working program.

Only obligation is that, if you distribute (gratis or for a fee, as-is
or modified) a GPL-covered program that you obtained somehow, you must
use the same licence and provide the source.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107