Re: Special|backslash (\) characters are not interpreted when printing t

From: tomdylan
Subject: Re: Special|backslash (\) characters are not interpreted when printing to PDF
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 06:25:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Ben,

thanks you for replying even at late Sunday afternoon!

I am again on a WIN7 machine and, in deed, at the command level of Octave's
prompt
system ('gnuplot') yields information about gnuplot ("system ('which
gnuplot')" yielded problems since "which" >was not accepted as argument)

G N U P L O T
        Version 4.6 patchlevel 4    last modified 2013-10-02
        Build System: MS-Windows 32 bit

        Copyright (C) 1986-1993, 1998, 2004, 2007-2013
        Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others

        gnuplot home:     http://www.gnuplot.info
        faq, bugs, etc:   type "help FAQ"
        immediate help:   type "help"  (plot window: hit 'h')

I  ran my programme and now no problems with popen2 popped up and the octave
windows appeared however with some differences than before.
Now the special characters are interpreted (/gamma yields the greek
character, see the attached file). however the arrangement of the subplots
has suffered a bit, for example :

the plots titles overwrite the axis labels ,
the "'fontangle', 'italic'" command is not considered at all.
But what is really a drag: "hold on" is not considered though the plot
command is in a loop and should print 3 black, 3 green and 3 red lines on
the subplots:

figure(iH)
subplot(3,2,iv);
plot(pprof(:,nstep),z(:)/H, 'b-','linewidth', 1); hold on;  % head drop dp
grid on;
xlabel('p/{\gamma} [m]','fontsize',11, 'fontangle', 'italic');
ylabel('z/H [-]','fontsize',11, 'fontangle', 'italic');
title(['dh/H=',num2str(dh/H),';  v/k=',num2str(v_k),'; B=0 - 1'],...
'fontsize',11, 'fontangle', 'italic');

<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4663815/dmy.jpg>

What a pity!

In the default graphics_toolkit() fltk-mode everything worked out fine, with
exception of the transfer to PDF/EMF.

Is there any workaround to print vector graphics (EMF would be even better
than PDF) in the fltk-mode?

I could imagine I am not the first one to require such an output device...
Will the fltk-mode be upgraded to "full" functionality in the next version?

If not, must I use gnuplot commands (pagesize, flip, origin, rotate etc. )
in octave?
Is there a manual or some templates about octave graphical output based on
gnuplot?

Again Thank you for your support, Ben!

Tom

-----
A numerical poem:
Now the fifth daughter on the twelfth night
Told the first father that things weren’t right
My complexion she said is much too white
He said come here and step into the light, he says hmm you’re right
Let me tell the second mother this has been done
But the second mother was with the seventh son
And they were both out on Highway 61
("Highway 61" by Robert Zimmerman 1964)