Shared memory between parallel threads

From: Anton Flugge
Subject: Shared memory between parallel threads
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 14:58:15 +0000

Hi,

I am trying to run calls to the kmeans function in parallel. In principal that works well with parcellfun in the parallel toolbox, however, the matrix that I want to use kmeans on is quite large (a couple of GB), and parcellfun creates separate copies of the workspace/variables for each parallel thread, which means I run out of memory quicker than I run out of processor cores. Now kmeans only needs read access, and no write access, to the input data, which means in principal it shouldn't be a problem to share the same matrix/memory between all threads, however, I could not find a solution anywhere on how to do that in Octave... is it possible to have global variables accessed by multiple parallel threads?

Thanks,
Anton