Re: Libraries that are included in GNU Octave

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: Re: Libraries that are included in GNU Octave
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 09:27:19 +0200

Dear Luka,
please keep the mailing list in CC and please do not top post with
fullquote below.

http://wiki.octave.org/Faq#If_I_write_code_using_Octave_do_I_have_to_release_it_under_the_GPL.3F

On 01.04.2014 13:13, Luka Kurnjek wrote:
> Yes, that is what I have read. The problem is that this topic nowhere
> states that if you are using ,
> your .m file can be licensed under copyright. So can I assume, that all
> functions that are included in the program language of GNU Octave are
> free to use for programing copyright .m files?

>From the FAQ: "Code written entirely in the scripting language of Octave
(interpreted code in .m files) may be released under the terms of
whatever license you choose."

I'm not a lawyer but for my understanding you can create a .m file with
calls to octave functions like "sum", "plot", "lsode" and so and add you
own copyright. To give someone the possibility to run this piece of code
he has to install octave and run it there.

You are not allowed to copy & paste code snippets from octave to your
(non-GPL) code.

I'm not sure what you mean with "libraries that are included in Octave
core" but I guess you mean the various function which are available
through the octave interpreter.

-- Andy