Re: safe shell strings

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: Re: safe shell strings
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 08:59:21 +0100

On 06.03.2014 17:38, Richard KIrk wrote:
> Is there any generic function that takes a string such as a filename, and
> turns it into something that can be quoted in a single command line string
> for the shell that system() is going to use?

I don't understand your question but...
If you want to form filenames, have a look at "fullfile" and "fileparts"
These use filesep() which is system-dependent:

on GNU/Linux:
octave:> fullfile("/home","user","myfile.log")
ans = /home/user/myfile.log

On windows you'll get backslashes..

Or are you searching for escape functions like "do_string_escapes" and
"undo_string_escapes"?

> Well, actually I probably do, but I
> am going to strtrim() the name and stick it in double quotes. I don't know
> if that works in Windows shells, but It WIll Do For Now.

If you explain what you are trying to do it's more likely that you get
more applicable answers.

-- Andy