Warnings on startup

From: Terry Duell
Subject: Warnings on startup
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 10:08:04 +1100

Hello All,
I'm running Octave-3.8.0.
I'm getting a lot of warnings on startup "function...shadows a core library function".
Most are related to java-1.2.9 and some also from specfun-1.1.0.
I read some discussion about this from around 2010, but it wasn't clear if the methods discussed were finally implemented, so tried using "warning ("off", "Octave:shadow");" and "warning("off","Octave:shadow-function");"
in my ~/.octaverc, both with no effect.

Is there a way of suppressing these startup warnings?

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell