Re: fem-fenics questions

From: Marco Vassallo
Subject: Re: fem-fenics questions
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 10:13:59 +0000

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Daniel Kraft <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi!

I've recently started playing around with fem-fenics, and it works very
well for my application so far.  Here are just some questions I came
across and wanted to discuss:

1) Whenever I run my script using fem-fenics (presumably during the call
to import_ufl_Problem), I see a cc1plus process popping up and using 10
s or so finish.  (This can also be seen with the Poisson example.)  I
understand that this is necessary to compile my UFL form.  Is it
possible to somehow skip this step unless the UFL file was changed?  It
takes a not negligible amount of processing time for my code and I don't
think the UFL file will change often.

Yes we should improve it. For the moment you can do as follow:

Go to the file generate_makefile.m in the private directory and remove line 59:

    rm -f Makefile _@@UFL_NAME@@\n\

In this way the makefile is not removed after you call the import_ufl_problem() function
and thus the file Poisson.ufl should not be compiled again.

Otherwise, you can just comment import_ufl_problem() in your script file after that it has been called the first time.
If you don't change the .ufl file you don't need to run it again.

HTH

Marco