Re: Current status of PPA

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Current status of PPA
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 12:57:21 -0500

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 17:22:49 +0100, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> What is the status of the Ubuntu PPA for Octave stable releases?
> We are planning a cluster update for the next Ubuntu LTS and I was
> wondering if it will be needed to compile stable (3.8.1+) from sources
> or just use the PPA.

I replied to this earlier [1]. Still relevant, I'd like to see Octave
move into the official Ubuntu repos, and take that source package and
backport it to LTS releases in the PPA. If I were going to make a
policy about the PPA, that would be it, that it shouldn't have
packages that aren't in Ubuntu official repos.

Now that we have a transition slot set up in Debian and packages are
starting to move into the unstable archive, they may start syncing
into Ubuntu soon. Then we can have a backport to LTS in the PPA. Until
then, you can grab the latest Debian source package [2] yourself and
build it for whatever Ubuntu release you like, or build from source
manually.

[1]
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Re-Octave-3-8-0-Released-tp4661060p4661061.html
[2] http://packages.debian.org/sid/source/octave