plot crashes (my) octave-3.8

From: Jose
Subject: plot crashes (my) octave-3.8
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 21:39:25 +0200

Hello.

I just compiled octave-3.8.0 in Kubuntu 13.10 installing the packages listed in
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Please-release-RC1-to-octave-unstable-PPA-td4659924.html
and for some reason that I ignore I cannot plot anything with fltk. With gnuplot I could (see below).

_With_fltk_
-->
octave:1> graphics_toolkit
ans = fltk
octave:2> plot([1:10])
No available targets are compatible with this triple, see -version for the available targets.
panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
save to 'octave-workspace' complete
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
<--
A blind search in google for the error above points to Clang stuff, which I am totally unfamiliar with. Digging in the config.log looking for llvm related things I found couple of fatal errors related to non existing header files, such as:
-->
conftest.cpp:49:30: fatal error: llvm/IR/Function.h: No such file or directory
<--
which does exist in my machine, or
-->
conftest.cpp:83:36: fatal error: llvm/Support/IRBuilder.h: No such file or directory
<--
which does not.

I don't even know if I am digging in the right direction here. Any comments/directions appreciated.

_With_gnuplot_
-->
octave:1> graphics_toolkit ('gnuplot')
octave:2> plot([1:10])

gnuplot> set terminal x11 enhanced title "Figure 1" size 560,420 position 300,490
                      ^
line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list
<--
This issue is solved by substituting the package gnuplot-nox by gnuplot-x11.

Regards,
J.