Re: Compiling octave 3.8 on Ubuntu 12.04?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Compiling octave 3.8 on Ubuntu 12.04?
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 01:46:40 -0500

[adding the help list to cc, please keep replies on the list]

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 17:06:03 +1100, Alasdair McAndrew wrote:
> I tried again, removing all old llvm, and making sure llvm-3.2 was all
> present and installed, and ran ldconfig for good measure.  Then
>
> ./configure JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java --enable-jit
> --prefix=/opt/octave3.8
>
> ended with
>
> configure: WARNING: llvm-config utility not found.  JIT compiler is
> disabled.
> configure:
> configure: NOTE: Libraries or auxiliary programs may be skipped if they are
> configure: NOTE: not found OR if they are missing required features on your
> configure: NOTE: system.
>
> I complied anyway, ran make check (same result as before) and then make
> install.  We'll see how we go!

Specifying --enable-jit is the same as not specifying it, the default is
to enable it. But configure has to find it or it has to be told how to
link with the appropriate LLVM library.

Your first set of configure options was right, with
LLVM_CONFIG=/usr/bin/llvm-config-3.2, this is required for Ubuntu 12.04
because its default LLVM 2.9 can't be used by Octave. This has been
discussed, but perhaps not on the help list.

Or, if you don't need or care about JIT, carry on as you have it built.

--
mike