Re: octave from mercurial: make fails

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: octave from mercurial: make fails
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 09:04:21 -0500

On Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 14:19:03 +0100, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> did so, ./bootstrap
> ./configure
> make
>
> but it still fails, with:
>
> libtool: link: ranlib parse-tree/.libs/libparser.a
> libtool: link: `octave-value/octave_value_liboctave_value_la-ov-re-mat.lo'
> is not a valid libtool object

I don't have a specific solution for this. However, are you building in
a directory that had object files from a previous Octave build in it?
Sometimes things get moved around or changed on the development branch
such that a partial rebuild won't work. When this happens to me, I
delete my build directory and start from a clean slate. This is an
advantage of building outside the source tree.

You are building inside the source tree, so you could try deleting all
build product files by hand. You could delete your entire cloned
directory and start over. Or you could try the "hg purge" extension
command (be careful, as its help says).

If having leftover built files from a previous version is indeed the
problem, try following the out-of-source-tree build model as recommended
in etc/HACKING.

HTH,

--
mike