Re: [newbie] advice for using LaTeX-code in Octave graphs

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: [newbie] advice for using LaTeX-code in Octave graphs
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 08:26:01 -0400

On Oct 9, 2013, at 6:15 AM, Jean Dubois wrote:

> Can someone here tell me what the preferred method is for using LaTeX-code in
> combination with Octave-plots.
> I currently use "print -deps ..." to generate eps-files from my plots and
> then I use psfrag in LaTeX to substitute simple labels and legends by more
> complicated LaTeX-formulas. This method works but it often happens that the
> placement and size of the final formulas is not optimal.
>
> thanks in advance,
> jean

Have you tried the epslatex, and/or tikz output formats?

close all
graphics_toolkit gnuplot
plot (rand (3))
xlabel ("indices")
ylabel ("random value")
print -depslatex test_epslatex

To see how the files are to be included in a latex document, you can try the
standalone version.

print -depslatexstandalone test_epslatex

If you are using pdflatex, just replace "epslatex" with "pdflatex"

Ben