Oct files and Amazon EC2

From: Mike Puglia
Subject: Oct files and Amazon EC2
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 22:12:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'm trying to get Octave running on Amazon's EC2 service and running into two problems.  After using Matlab on and off for almost 20 years, I moved over to Octave last year and love it.  You guys are awesome.

At home I'm running Octave 3.6.4 mingw on an old XP machine.  I use a lot of oct files, mainly to link to a c++ library I've written and compiled with mingw g++.  Everything there works fine and has been working fine for a long time.

I started migrating it all on to Amazon EC2 and I have Octave 3.6.4 mingw working fine there.  I can also compile my c++ library and link to it and see that it works too.  I can't get mkoctfile to work however.  If I run the mkoctfile on even the simple "hello world" program in the mkoctfile help online (i.e. just the simplest oct file possible without any external links), mkoctfile will return without error and the .oct file will be created, but if I call the .oct command from the Octave command line I get:

octave:1> a = hello_world_oct(1,2,3)
error: 'hello_world_oct' undefined near line 1 column 5

It seems that Octave can't see the .oct files compiled/created on my EC2 instance.  The EC2 instance I'm using is on Windows Server 2008 Datacenter, so 64 bit, whereas I have only used 32-bit until now.  I assume this has something to do with it?  Should mkoctfile work here?  Am I missing something obvious?  Is this related to mingw?

Second, smaller problem is that when I launch Octave on my EC2 instance, I get the following error:

OpenBLAS : Your OS does not support AVX instructions. OpenBLAS is using Nehalem kernels as a fallback, which may give poorer performance.

Is there a way to fix this?  If not, how much of a performance hit will I be taking?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

MTP