Re: plotting problem on Mac OSX

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: plotting problem on Mac OSX
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 15:40:14 -0400

On Jul 16, 2013, at 3:16 PM, Chris Daamen wrote:

>> Hi everyone,
>>> I'm using Octave version 3.4.0 running on OSX Mountain lion, and I have
>>> installed X-Code 4.6.1, AquaTerm 1.1.0, X11 2.7.2 and Gnuplot too. But
>>> nothing still happens when I'm trying to plot a graph. Just AquaTerm Opens
>>> and nothing else happens.
>>> please someone help me with this.
>>> thanks.
>>
>> I assume you installed an application bundle for Octave?  Maybe one
>> recommended by Coursera?
>>
>> There are some problems with running the application bundle on Lion and
>> Mountain Lion.  Some people have been successful, but others have problems.
>> The problem may be that your copy of gnuplot was built to use a different
>> version of Aquaterm than the one you have installed.  To fix that, just
>> uninstall Aquaterm .. often gnuplot comes bundled with Aquaterm (buried in
>> the gnuplot application bundle).  If that doesn't fix the problem for you,
>> you can try using the x11 terminal.  From Octave's prompt, just try ..
>>
>>      setenv GNUTERM x11
>>      plot (rand (3))
>>
>> In general, we recommend you use one of the package managers available for
>> Mac OSX (Fink, Macports, or Homebrew).
>>
>>      http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X
>>
>> Please uninstall the version Aquaterm you have before trying to run Octave
>> installed using any of these package managers.
>>
>> Ben
>
> For what its worth, I am on Lion, and used the strategy as I outlined before.
> I do get nice plots in both the ways I explained.

Chris, I was typing my reply when you responded.  The response is exactly what
is needed for those who wish to install the Octave 3.4.0 bundle on Lion or
Mountain Lion.

If you're inclined to help out further ... it would be nice if someone added
the information to the wiki.  We'd prefer that users use a package manager
(which supports the most recent release), but for those who prefer an
app-bundle, it would be nice to add a subsection to the end of the page below
(should be added just below the warning).

        http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#Installing_a_Mac_OS_X_Bundle

Ben