Re: "Octave now has its own GUI"?

From: c.
Subject: Re: "Octave now has its own GUI"?
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 02:55:21 +0200

On 17 Jun 2013, at 02:24, Greg Spradlin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carlo:
>

> First let me apologize if it is bad etiquette for me to e-mail you directly.
> I am a beginner at Nabble.  If this is bad etiquette, you can tell me so,
> politely I hope, ignore the rest of my message and I will never bother you
> again.

You are not bothering me, you are welcome to add me in CC to your email
but I do ask that you keep the conversation on list.

>  You posted "Octave now has its own GUI, if you need a GUI you can get a
> development version of Octave where the GUI is enabled by default.".  Can you
> tell me how to do this?  I have spent a lot of time looking for a free GUI
> for Octave.  The official-looking site
> http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#Is_there_a_GUI_for_Octave.3F states that there is
> no GUI for Octave.

It is in the development version of Octave, as reported in the next section of
the same wiki page:
http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#Is_there_a_GUI_planned_for_Octave.3F

> This is the same site where the Octave people lay out their objections to GUI
> Octave. Their objections seem legit, however, GUI Octave is the only free GUI
> for Octave I have found.

Assuming you are a windows user, I posted you at least one other link:
https://forja.rediris.es/projects/octaveupm/
have you tried that?

Others pointed you to QTOctave, have you tried that either?

If you are not using windows, specify your operating system and so can point
you to other options.

> I did not post on the forum to "complain about its [GNU Octave's] missing
> features and documentation".   I am not going to complain about something
> that is free.  I posted to tried to get help from someone who had perhaps
> used it successfully or found a better alternative.

Actually, "GUI Octave" is NOT Free Software:
So you are very welcome to complain about it.

This list is not about "GUI Octave" though, so it is not the right place to ask
for help about it.

> GS
c.