Re: Octave 3.0.5 ECCN Number

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave 3.0.5 ECCN Number
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 22:57:08 +0200

On 06/10/2013 10:27 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 10 June 2013 10:16, Agoos, Ian F               PW
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I am attempting to determine the US Export Control Classification Number for
>> Octave 3.0.5, and have been unable to find it posted online.
> Why should Octave have an ECCN?
>
> What's the ECCN for, say, Linux?
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Jordi,

Everything has a ECCN even a conversation in the street with a
non-resident (ie "deemed-export") has an ECCN. I looked in to this a few
years back, and you can see the thread at

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Export-control-td4636642.html

where after looking at the possible ECCNs that might cover Octave, the
only possible code seems to be EAR99, the catch all that covers
everything. Though you might need to apply for commodity status

http://www.bis.doc.gov/licensing/cclrequestguidance.html

Yes Linux has an ECCN as well, for example

http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/licenses/ProductTechnologyMatrix.pdf

David