General algorithm to find systematically named files in sub-directories

From: bondmatt
Subject: General algorithm to find systematically named files in sub-directories
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 19:53:53 -0700 (PDT)

I have a project in mind where I would run an Octave script that will find a
number of files in sub-directories (the files would have the same filename),
process the data contained in these files, and output a .tex file from which
a report would be created.

A little more detail: At work I have a B&K sound level meter that saves
files in directories named Project.001, Project.002, ... Project.999. After
Project.999 it resets to Project.001. These directories contain many files
but one is a .wav file which always has the same name (sound_1.wav or
something similar). This is the only file that I am considering make use of.

We have software from B&K that performs a rather simple analysis of
A-weighted dB level over time with dBA level output every 1/64th of a second
with 1/8th second intervals for the A-weighting as well as averaging to
remove high frequency content. I have this portion of the code mostly
complete. It just needs some tweaking to try to obtain results as identical
as possible to the B&K software (it is close as is).

The LATEX portion is holding me up at the moment but only because I need to
bring myself up to speed on the language. If anyone knows how to put a
header on the table of contents page...

Depending on what is being tested the number of samples will vary. One
thought is a sort of brute force search through all 999 possible folders but
I am hoping there is a smarter way to do this?

I plan to have Octave prompt the user with the folder name (i.e.
Project.001) and ask for a description as well as input other general
information needed.