Re: Is there any free and NOT cloud based octave...

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Is there any free and NOT cloud based octave...
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 16:34:50 +0200

On Jun 6, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

> Noreply? Let's try to reply anyways.
>
> On 5 June 2013 21:20, Francisco Acosta (Google+)
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Is there any free and NOT cloud based octave app for iOS?
>
> All Octave copies should be free, so that Octave's users can also be
> free. Octave copies can be commercial, but must remain free. If you
> know of a non-free copy of Octave, please alert us, as this would be a
> GPL violation.
>
> iOS presents a particular problem, because it's a locked-down OS,
> which does not allow its users to be free. There are ways to jailbreak
> iOS, but Apple scares its customers into thinking that jailbreaking is
> a harmful thing to do.
>
> If you can jailbreak your iOS device, you might be able to find an
> Octave copy for that device. I don't know of someone who makes it, but
> the people who are making Mac OS X binaries might know.

Also, as I understand things, Apple does not allow iOS app developers to build
applications that execute scripted code. Browser developers cannot supply their
own javascript engine, C# code has to be compiled and cannot be executed on a
JIT, etc. Personally, I would find a mobile Octave app that doesn't allow you
to execute scripts to be of little value -- what would it do? I could see some
value in an app that allowed you to load and show plots, though.

Søren