Re: Octave takes forever to load

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave takes forever to load
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 11:45:40 -0400

On 31 May 2013 11:34, Ether Jones <address@hidden> wrote:

> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

>> ... it probably has to do with the peculiarities of Windows IO
>
>> C++ libraries, which I've encountered before.
>
> Is there a workaround for this?

The details escape me at the moment. I don't have a particular Windows
problem in mind. I just remember that I've encountered problems with
the Windows C++ stdlib before.

>> A matrix that size here in the free world loads in 4 seconds with a header
>> and in 11 without a header.
>
> Are you saying that you have a binary distro of Octave for 32-bit XP Pro
> that loads a 2500x2500 12MB matrix in 4 seconds?

No, I don't use non-free software. I generally don't compile for
non-free systems either, but other people might.

I'm saying that using a GNU OS, I don't see this problem.

- Jordi G. H.