Re: GSoc students and OctConf

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: GSoc students and OctConf
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 15:53:26 +0200

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Ankit Shah <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sorry if I interrupted into your discussion thread. I'm new to GSOC program
> and was introduced almost a week ago as to what it is and so failed to
> apply. I would love to contribute to the open source community of Octave. I
> know it's too late as the deadlines have already completed. But still I'd
> love to join you guys in contributing to the open source community. I'm know
> C, C++, and python. I'm ready to learn new stuffs required so as to start
> contributing. It would be nice if you would like to suggest me as to what i
> need to learn or read so as to get acquainted writing patches for the Octave
> project. Though I'm not GSOC student it would love to start contributing to
> the open source so that I may have chance of getting selected in this
> program next year(as I would also not have any age barrier at that time coz
> I'm still 17).
>
> --Ankit Shah.
>

> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM, JuanPi <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Jordi for such a great introduction and all the effort!
>>
>> @Studetns: Are you planning to go to OctConf2013?
>>
>> It would be a great opportunity to get to know you all. It went quite
>> well with our previous students.
>>
>> --
>> JuanPi Carbajal
>> -----
>> "Ave Imperator, moritvri te salvtant"
>> Naumachiarii, AD 52
>

> --
> Ankit Shah

Hi Ankit,

I think the first step is to get to know Octave itself. Do you already
use it? If not then find what woud you use Octave for and start
looking on the details of that field/area. The expertise you know for
different parts an be quite different, GUI development may need a
completely different set of skill than JIT compilation development
and/or Finite Element solver development.

So, How would you use GNU Octave? I think that if you can answer that
question you would have answer most of your inquiries.

Cheers