Re: May I ask something about the governance of Octave?

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: May I ask something about the governance of Octave?
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 17:44:33 +0200

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Benjamin Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> On May 26, 2013, at 10:37 PM, Ming Liu <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM, c. <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>> On 26 May 2013, at 06:47, Ming Liu <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > I am currently doing a research work about of Octave. If is is possible,
>> > may I get to know the following information?
>> >
>> > Project leader
>> > Release manager
>> > Bug manager
>> > Documentation manager
>> > Web manager
>> > Security officer
>> > Mailing list manager
>> > Legal officer
>> > Is their a voting system for making decisions?
>> >
>> > Sorry about asking too much questions. But this is some kind useful to
>> > my reseach work. I am grateful for any help.
>> >
>> > Kind regard,
>> > Ming
>>
>> Octave does not have such a structured development team.
>> You may find some info on Octave's community dynamics in this
>> presentation:
>> http://jordi.platinum.linux.pl/octave/what-is-octave.pdf
>>
>> some of the info there need an update though.
>> c.
>
> Thank you Carlo! This is helpful!
> Is it possible for me to ask another question? I saw a lot of active
> contributors are developing Octave, but they are not paid.
> What attract them to put such a great effort in this software?
> Kind regards,
> Ming
>

> I can't speak for anyone else, but I contribute because I enjoy it.
>
> Ben

Yeah Ming,
I like to code, I like science, I like math, I like libre and open
science, I like libre and open source software...
Octave is a medium to all that!
I get my money from my job, where I use Octave, so I guess Octave
deserves some of my time (and I enjoy it)!
At the end of the day (not always) other people at my work also use
the code I developed ad this also pays for my employer.
So everybody is happy.