Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?

From: c.
Subject: Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 11:45:59 +0200

On 21 May 2013, at 07:25, Ming Liu <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Ben, I have run all these lines in Mac OS's command window, and it worked!
> Thank you.
> However, there is another simple question. I am still confused about the path
> of Octave installed in my computer. I have searched some directories but
> could not find Octave source files. If I want to modify some m-files, I think
> firstly I need to find them before modifying them, and then try to generate
> patches. Could you also help me with this? :)
> Kind regards,
> Ming Liu

Ming,

If you're interested in contributing changes to Octave sources
you should not be changing the Octave files installed by macports
but rather clone the Octave mercurial repository and working there:
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/

If rather than to core Octave you wish to add functionalities to an existing
Octave-Forge package you should check out the subversion repository instead:
http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code/HEAD/tree/

this section of the manual may provide you with useful info:
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html

And also these sections in the wiki might help:
http://wiki.octave.org/Main_Page#Building_Octave
http://wiki.octave.org/Main_Page#Octave-Forge

HTH,
c.

P.S. BTW, macports installs your files in /opt/local.
 to see where a particular .m file is located on your machine type

 >> which function_name

 at the Octave prompt. while typing

 >> edit function_name

 will open (a copy of) the source file in your default editor.