Re: Plotting whole numbers only.

From: PetrSt
Subject: Re: Plotting whole numbers only.
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 09:06:25 -0700 (PDT)

gholladay wrote
> Actually I was finally able to solve this problem yesterday.  A paper
> written by a Stanford professor states that gnuplot assumes integers
> unless told otherwise.  That was a valuable clue.  The fix was almost too
> simple.  I changed each of my plot commands per the following example:
>
> plot(IRS_Time_ms(2:end),AHRS_Scaled_Heading,"@3.",'markersize',0.5);
> plot(double(IRS_Time_ms(2:end)),AHRS_Scaled_Heading,"@3*",'markersize',0.5);
>
> Now everything works like a charm :)
>
> With your indulgence, I would like to ask two additional questions.  Do
> you know of any way to:
>
> 1.  Change legend font sizes using gnuplot?
> 2.  Change the marker size in the legend to be larger than the marker size
> on the plot?
>
> The reason I ask should be apparent from the attached sample.  If there is
> no way to change these, it might make a good gnuplot improvement for a
> future Octave release.  If I use fltk, the legends are a little better,
> especially the markers in the legends, but with the amount of data this
> tool will be processing (easily more than 1 million data points), the time
> to save a fltk figure to a file is prohibitive in the extreme.  That might
> make a good improvement in a future release as well.  I suspect allowing
> the function 'figure("visible","off");' might substantially reduce that
> time to be on a par with the gnuplot time.
>
> Thanks for all your help,
>
> Greg

It's good you solved it.
Concerning the changing of legend, basically legend doesn't accept options
like "fontsize" or "markersize" (it should inherit those from related
plotted objects), but legend object is sort of axis with children of type
"line" and "text", whos properties could be changed. So in  testik3.m
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4653084/testik3.m>   you can find
some clue. Unfortunately it works well with fltk but not with gnuplot. It
seems to have no effect on gnuplot and I have no other advice. You could
make a new thread on Nabble for this.

About your calls for octave improvements, you can pass them to bug reports.
Since I'm not a developer or maintainer but only an user as you.

Finally, it seems to me that your emails are addressed just to me and it
doesn't appear on Nabble. Maybe you could use a Replay button on the Nabble
instead of replaing via email (I don't know if this is the case, it's just
an idea).

Regards
Petr