Re: xlsread in Octave 3.6.4

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: xlsread in Octave 3.6.4
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 11:55:38 -0700 (PDT)

am304 wrote
> Oops, pressed send a bit too early...
>
> On 7 May 2013 13:05, Arnaud Miege <

> arnaud.miege@

> > wrote:
>

>> On 3 May 2013 20:09, PhilipNienhuis [via Octave] <
>>

> address@hidden

>> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Just add the chk_spreadsheet_support command in your previous mail to
>>> your octaverc. That'll make sure the class libs are loaded (provided the
>>> java and io package are auto-loaded) when you start Octave.
>>> (A similar line is included in PKG_ADD which is called when the io
>>> package gets loaded, but that mechanism is a bit fragile in this
>>> specific
>>> case.)
>>>

>> It seems that adding the PKG_ADD file suggested by Nitzan did the trick.
>>

>>> BTW as to ActiveX / Windows not working:
>>>
>>> 1. Did you update the release() and delete() functions in the
>>> ./@octave_com_object/ subdir for the windows-1.2.1 package from svn?
>>> Michael Goffioul (the Windows pkg maintainer) fixed those but AFAIK he
>>> didn't make a fixed Windows package.
>>> From what I know of Nitzan (who made the 3.6.4 binary you're using) I
>>> expect the Windows package included with Octave-3.6.4-MinGW does contain
>>> the fixes.
>>>
>>> 2. Do you have 64-bit MS-Office installed? 64-bit MS-Office doesn't not
>>> support ActiveX controls written for 32 bits [1], e.g., the Windows
>>> package.
>>>
>>> Philip
>>>
>>> [1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx  (look
>>> halfway page under "Disadvantages")
>>>

> Yes, I did update the release() and delete() functions. The O/S is win-xp
> 64-bit, but it is a 32-bit MS-Office installation (it is installed in
> C:\Program
> Files (x86)\Microsoft Office).
>
> What is interesting is that xlsread worked straight off in 3.6.2 (although
> that was the MSVC 2010 distribution, not the MinGW).

Yeah i have some vague reminiscence from my 64bit Win7 box at work, where
ActiveX didn't work properly either IIRC. But the IT folks at work did some
"specials" with it which I figured might be the cause.
Next week I'll have another look.

Perhaps it'll help to try an older Windows pkg version where the dispatch()
mechanism is still called.

Philip