Re: required makeinfo version

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: required makeinfo version
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 09:45:42 -0700 (PDT)

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
> On 26 April 2013 10:39, Ben Abbott <

> bpabbott@

> > wrote:
> <snip>
>> No doubt GPL based Linux is a preferred solution, but I'm not sure
>> what practical alternatives there are for a "for profit" company
>> selling an OS.
>
> Dell is selling GNU/Linux, and has been doing for quite some time:
>
>     http://www.dell.com/Learn/us/en/555/linux-solutions?c=us&l=en&s=biz

While searching for a new laptop recently, I found to my suprise that the
same Dell box is (significantly) more expensive with preinstalled Linux than
with preinstalled Windows. And that doesn't apply to Dell exclusively. The
reason seems to be that Windows comes preinstalled with loads of extra
crapware trials, whose vendors actually pay (to the PC manufacturers) to
have it included with Windows.

When you realize that most customers just look at the total check-out price
rather than what they get and/or have to pay later on, you understand why
Linux doesn't stand much of a chance this way.

Philip